PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hand propping while keeping all my fingers
Old 14th Dec 2015, 02:09
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Big Pistons said, but to add that if you have run the battery flat trying to start a Lycoming, the bendix in the starter might still be engaged to the ring gear, in which case, hand propping it is not going to work.

Presuming the opportunity to get to know how that engine likes to be started, set it up that way before you begin. Pre heat it.

A few days ago, my 150's battery was low. I chocked and tied it, and as I expected, it was running on the third pull (it never fires on the forst two pulls - I just know). No drama, I cautiously walked around to set the engine running nicely, then all things well, untied and unchocked it, and off I went.

BUT, I'm hyper cautious hand propping planes I do not know - too many surprises. While hand propping a buddy's new 150 decades ago, having called mags off, which he acknowledged from the pilot's seat, I pulled through a prime. It started first pull. Fortunately, I always pull like it's gonna start. This time it did . I gave him a gesture of dissatisfaction through the prop arc. He responded by holding up the keys for me to see. A bad mag lead. Know your plane....