PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2015, 16:20
Geriaviator

Received 241 Likes on 75 Posts
Danny:
Wrong thread I think, this Hurricane v Spitfire servicing quote is from http://www.pprune.org/military-aviat...nt-view-3.html on which we have both posted.

Walter:
Courtesy Wiki, here is a photo of a Beaufighter Mk II night fighter serial R2402 at Hibaldstow in 1941. It was then transferred to your 54 OTU at Church Fenton; maybe you flew it at some stage in your training? At around 20% the fatality rate on your course was even higher than that for total RAF training accidents. It seems that if the Blenheim didn't kill you, you might just about survive the Beaufighter. Your description of standing behind the pilot for a couple of circuits and then being told to get on with it makes it sound so easy:
Incredible power for take-off, an hour to myself, and it was like my first solo all over. I had no difficulties, all was "a piece of cake".
Then I looked at the Beaufighter pilot's notes at Beaufighter
HANDLING: Although stable in level flight, cloud or night flying is not advisable as handling becomes difficult at speeds below 180 mph.
Firing the 20mm guns causes disturbance of the P4 compass. It may be restored … by firing a one-second burst (about 10 rounds per gun) while flying level on compass North. This should be done at the earliest opportunity.
And all this long before you even ventured near the enemy. Not for the first time, I wonder at the demands made on WW2 aircrew, and salute your bravery and perseverance. Gentlemen, we raise our glasses to you.

Last edited by Geriaviator; 13th Dec 2015 at 16:36. Reason: Add picture