PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will New ADSB IFR Requirement Reduce Safety Even More?
Old 13th Dec 2015, 00:37
Flying Binghi

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
via Pontius #18:
FB, I don't know really where to start with your post. I think the best thing you can probably do is invest in some industrial strength tinfoil for a new hat and realise the USA & Russia are not going to switch off GPS because of the terrorist threat of GPS-guided bomb drones in Oz. They're quite capable of inertial guidance as well, so you'd better decide how you're going to combat l@ser ring gyros as well as GPS
"tinfoil for a new hat..." And those gyros know where they are to start with, because....?...

Pontius, i received exactly the same comments several years ago in this forum when i first started posting about terrorists using GPS guided drones. Well, i've been proven right. Or should i say that those who first alerted me to the possibility have been proven right. There were many threads on the subject and many have now disappeared from this site, though there is a 'go-back' web history site around that will bring up the old threads.

Pontius, inertial guidance/laser ring for small terrorist bomb drones were covered some time ago here in pprune. Seems, at this time, that the tech can't match the un-traceability, versatility, accuracy, and low cost, of GPS for terrorist purposes. And the terrorist purposes... Usama bin Laden himself wrote that islamic terrorist warfare will be one of economically bleeding the west dry. (ref, Kilcullen, 2009)

If you have a look at the terrorists nightmare, the Predator drone, one of the main people involved in its development first looked at it as a poor mans cruise missile. i.e., a GPS guided drone bomb...

"...Neal Blue found his imagination fired by the coming availability of GPS. He began following the system's development avidly, and when he heard of a Silicon Valley company called Trimble Navigation Ltd. that was already making products based on GPS applications, he flew to California to meet the firms founder. He came back with a new idea: theoretically, an unmanned aircraft equipped with a GPS receiver connected to an autopilot could be flown with great accuracy to any point on the globe that its aerodynamics and fuel capacity would enable it to reach. If such a drone also had a couple of hundred pounds of TNT in its nose, and was built cheaply enough, it could be a poor mans cruise missile..." (via, Whittle, 2014)