PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 unreliable speed . . . only if you are a nerd like me
Old 12th Dec 2015, 22:05
ExV238

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's me you're responding to, then, with respect, I think you've misunderstood me! Perhaps I didn't make express myself very well. These are important points, so I'll answer them.

Note that I refer to emergency procedures AND OEBs; it may be thread drift (expansion?) but I was talking about more general flight control issues than just unreliable airspeed. My point is, indeed, that we need to be very careful about responding 'creatively' to an emergency by turning off ADRs/PFCs/stick pushers or whatever protection systems the aircraft has, in preference to following published procedures. There are echoes of the Staines Trident crash here; on that occasion the stick pusher was trying to protect the aircraft but was dumped, presumably because the crew's mental model of their predicament was wrong. Oh, and stick pushers were still relatively new technology and mistrusted by some.

My point re the A330 was that the pilot considered turning off the ADRs. On this occasion he didn't, but others in similar conditions might have done.

I know of no technical reason why a correctly loaded Airbus (or comparable Boeing, Embraer, etc etc) would enter an unrecoverable stall if the correct stall recovery actions are taken. Such things are tested in all flight control modes and wouldn't pass certification if this were so.

This is a really interesting subject, and there will always be differences of opinion on flight envelope protection. There are differences of approach across the manufacturers yet all of them are endorsed by the certification agencies, which shows that there's still a healthy opportunity for technology to develop and move forward.