PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHEND 5
Thread: SOUTHEND 5
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2015, 20:25
chesna152

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think by this point in the precedings we are all aware that at times this winter Southends offerings are pretty disappointing, however this schedule has been out for 10 months or so I really don't think we need daily departure board updates to make the point!

On a more general note, Southend obviously has a problem at the moment, and quite a serious one of that, there is no doubt that additional business must be found to secure the airport into the medium and long term! However despite this I find c3b and others comparisons so Luton and Stansted kinda pointless. The departure board of Southend is always going to look very different to the other 2, of course in many instances they are pitching for the same business however this is where the comparison ends. Stansted
and Luton are huge airport machines and conversely need a larger slice of the pie to survive and thrive, however the good news (and boy does Southend need good news) is that it will not take much to turn the fortunes of Southend around. An airline signing to base a couple of airframes at a site would not make much difference to Luton and Stansted however if that was at Southend it could transform the balance sheet and in turn the airports prospects. Southend must, and I think will, find its niche. Who for example would have predicted Amerstdam at 3 daily, carrying 20k + pax a month, a couple of years ago, not me!

My rather long winded point is hang in there and I think the rather small operation that Southend will always be can be a success. It may take time, but after such a huge investment stobart have no option I would have thought than to give it time. Lest we not forget that Southend is only a few years into its renewed operation, if Southend is in the same position in 4/5 years it may be time to look again!

(LTNman, not sure if your point was in jest regarding Jota tug, however for info I believe this to be quirk of the operation departments i.t system interaction with the electronic calendar rather than a genuine attempt to make the departure board look more impressive)