PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 12th Dec 2015, 16:16
_Phoenix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would you do?
..Move the thrust levers to idle and disconnect the A/T. (A/C is over speed);
Then alleviate the angle of attack (zero G, if needed);
Bring the nose to the horizon and wings to level;....
Can someone explain why there was the 'stall' audio warning going off? I wonder if that seemingly conflicting warning was behind the question? Would your ears override your eyes and make you do something different?
I'd assume because it stalled in overspeed condition.
WOW! Bingo! So the stall warning goes off and we all would say(including me) Nah! The PFD picture shows overspeed (then AOA ~0deg), so the appropriate response is: PULL UP! ->from both french FOs

What are the similarities between overspeed and stall?
- Buffet, impressive aerodynamic noise, bells and whistle sounds, pitch down, high descent rate, altimeter indication, FD (pull up!).
What is different:
- Airspeed indication
But from report (page 185, comments 39):
...the airspeed from ADRIU was unavailable... (showed unreasonable values)
See Figure 28: stall warning on! airspeed - red SPD! - This upset would initiate overspeed scenario.
The red SPD indication remained until switch to CAPT 3 when FO released SS after 2.5 min of pulling... At that time everything was too late, with AOA over 40 deg
So we all would be dead... by watching again the video at 1:10, substitute the speed indication with red - SPD

Last edited by _Phoenix; 12th Dec 2015 at 16:33. Reason: clarification