PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2015, 15:37
Wander00

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Too true it did. Had an OC Admin at Watton in the 60s called Peter Moon. Great guy and as I spent 6 months in SHQ whilst the medics pondered taking away my A1G1Z1 I learned much from him. When I rejoined I came across him again as DPM(Airmen) at Innsworth. Roll forward 15 years or so and I am secretary (Ch Exec) of a large and prestigious South Coast yacht club. I am told someone who would rather not give his name is in Reception to see me. Turns out to be PM, now Captain of a local golf club and had seen my name in the local paper, so we had lunch together, and repeated the exercise a few times. Sadly he became ill and died, and I attended his funeral. The eulogy described how he had joined up from very humble beginnings in the war at the earliest opportunity. He ended up working on Sunderlands at PD. one night he was guard on a moored aircraft in a gale. He started a couple of engines and saved the aircraft. At the end of the war he stayed in and eventually made group captain. He had no formal educational qualifications at all. What a guy.

Last edited by Wander00; 12th Dec 2015 at 22:19. Reason: Typo