PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2015, 09:03
Lima Juliet

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts
On the flying side the operating expertees ( proven over years of safe operation )
A and C, expertese is not going to save you and neither is previous safe operation if the aircraft are unsafe. Even if they're safe then you need a way of assuring that they are safe to operate. From the FOI request some posts back we know that the paperwork that assured that the aircraft was safe to operate had been lost or incomplete, we also saw in the same FOI that elevator hinges had been fitted to the wrong aircraft. There has also been anecdotal tales of unrecorded accident damage and repairs. We know that a singular accident involving a Cadet could have proven catestrophic for all ACO flying. What would you have done if you had been presented with this issue - talking to the Volunteers as you suggest?

Prior performance is no guarantee of future performance...

I have said all along that stopping flying was the correct thing to do. I cannot criticise this decision knowing what we know from the FOI, rumours and other posts on here.

I agree that the return to flight program has been ridiculously sluggish, however, I suspect that 2FTS became entangled in the mire of commercial contracts. That's no excuse for the paucity of information flow, in my humble opinion. However, I remain hopeful for 2016 and the return of gliding for Air Cadets - rumour has it that CAS makes a decision next week and one would hope that the message will be broadcast to all before Christmas and New Year.

LJ