PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2015, 12:42
Desk-pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tough decision

If it helps any of the posters here, I bailed from a well paid IT career aged 34, did an integrated course, went back to IT for 18 months job hunting and finally landed a turboprop job with a leading regional.

For about 12 months I was based 400 miles from my wife and two year old which was really difficult. I did enjoy the flying far more than IT and after a year managed to get a base where I could live at home.

I spent nearly 8 years at the regional airline before landing my dream airline job with a large international carrier.

Financially aged 46 I now live in a 4 bed detached house worth £450-500k but with a £330 000 mortgage. At age 33 in IT before pilot training I lived in an equivalent house of similar value but had a £169 000 mortgage. The difference is explained by the years I spent on a low salary as a regional FO on an interest only mortgage and the fact that we remortgaged to cover the training fees and the period I was a student. My wife has a decently paid job.

In truth I do enjoy flying far more than an office job but as some other posters have said it eventually becomes work and in truth I'd rather be at home with the family this weekend than away nightstopping and working. I'm more tired due to the shiftwork than I was in IT and so days off are often spent trying to rest and catch up on sleep. This gets worse as you get older - as an office worker I was usually full of beans on days off.

If I'd stayed in IT I reckon there's a good chance my mortage would be nearly gone and I could be looking forward to retiring in perhaps the next 5-10 years in my early fifties and spending my leisure time enjoying myself at home playing guitar or watching movies or cycling. Unfortunately this will not happen having chosen the flying option. I have no doubt that a day in a plane is generally more enjoyable than a day in an office, but even I'm not sure if that's enough recompense to make up for the delayed retirement! A day in a plane is not more enjoyable than a day playing guitar!

So, that's my insight from somebody who did it and followed the dream. I've seen some great views, flown with some amazing pilots and am truly proud to do the job and most days I still enjoy it to a degree. But it has a big impact on your personal life in terms of shared leisure time with your family, the stress of studying for exams, type ratings and checkrides etc and the rostering is getting more punishing everywhere.

If you've a good career and are in your thirties my advice is to think very carefully before doing it. Another option if you have a well paid but boring job is to go part time to make it more enjoyable - it will be cheaper than this career option!

DP