PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2015, 11:25
Bagso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chaps1954

I do appreciate we are up against a tsunami in terms of London bias BUT to be fair it is about a wee bit more than sending out PR by fax , it's about engaging and communicating with leader writers, BBC etc.

Of course there is bias but there is also some with a sympathetic ear.

Liam Hallingan Guardian

Simon Jenkins Guardian

Andrew Bounds FT

What the media wants is a story , a different viewpoint!

Could Manchester have not emphasised it's massive expansion at zero cost to taxpayer. ..

Could it have emphasised that promoting Manchester, could ignite the NorthernPowerhouse and played a political game calling in Mr Osborne ?

Could they have highlighted that the SE has just one third of the population but two thirds of the flights ?

Could they have made comparison with German strategy suggesting a dual hub approach originating in two different regions!

Most importantly could it have emphasised that with expansion to 55m Manchester is potentially providing capacity within just 10 years , for 30m passengers who would not have to use London !

And all within one seamless terminal rather than a hotch potch of terminals interconnected by a 30 min bus ride, now that is real "connectivity" !

WHAT a selling point !

Everybody it seemed who had an opinion managed to get some airtime except that is the largest multi airport operator in the UK, an organisation with the financial clout of a top 100 FT company!

The lady from the CBI labelled Manchester a small regional airport, now I appreciate as I said we are not Heathrow but seriously. ....?

She had no clue and I mean no clue that Manchester existed let alone it had a not unreasonable long haul network!
Which part of her members did she represent?

Does nobody have the agility of mind to get on the phones from Olympic House and challenge ?

Do the CBI not have any representatives in the North ?

I seriously doubt the Chuckle Brothers messrs Holland-Kaye and Wingate were hanging about relying on bits of paper to communicate their story , they hurried from studio to studio salivating at the opportunity to put forward their view, their spin, on camera!

Some of it was complete cobblers but it was hoovered up enthusiastically with only the politest of challenges!

Sorry but as 3rd large airport and with such a dynamic contribution our chaps should have been on station, making calls, haranging the media for airtime providing our day in court !

If a 3rd tier spokesperson for the CBI can get 8 minutes of fame to voice an opinion, I'm damn sure the CEO of the largest airport outside London can!

Last edited by Bagso; 11th Dec 2015 at 11:40.