PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bridge closure forces transport rethink for Hogmanay in EDI
Old 11th Dec 2015, 07:18
piperboy84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I probably will take the train, but I've often wondered what tourists think about the train service that serves our little piece of heaven. In particular those holiday makers attempting to catch a flight home from Edinburgh after visiting Dundee, Aberdeen , Inverness the Highlands and Islands or pretty much anywhere north of the central belt, an area that consists the bulk of the country. Their East Coast train journey will involve numerous stops at every little one horse town in the Kingdom of Fife that nobody has ever heard of nor uses to finally taking in the beauty of crossing the Forth on a bridge that runs parallel to the now closed road bridge then shortly thereafter coming within sight of the airport. Their proximity to the westerly runway threshold allows for a close inspection of the major components of the ILS, the taxiways, runway markers, terminal building, the short term parking and depending on gate assignment they can see the actual aircraft they will eventually be departing on. At this point they have a choice, they can attempt to jump from the train into the hay field next to the threshold in a manner similar to that used by Donald Pleasance and James Garner in The Great Escape i.e. throw luggage first then jump from the moving train followed by quickly rolling behind a hay bale so the train driver or conductor does not notice, or suffer the expense and time of at least another hours worth of train then taxi or bus or tram journey to get back to the point they are currently at, as the main train line does not have a stop or station at the main airport. I sincerely hope the transport planner who thought this one out was pole axed, it would be thoroughly deserved.