PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Argentine fast jet weapons choice - Falklands
Old 11th Dec 2015, 07:08
Darvan

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Bloggs, I seem to remember that the only way 12 and 208 could routinely achieve a CEP of 'less' than 300 ft for a toss event in the mid to late 80s was to replace MT with 4 second VT. Rather than allowing the automatics to effect a release, it was more important to 'pull' a smooth 4g toss profile and allow the manual timer to generate a release pulse. Also, marking the target manually using the linear B scan mode of the Blue Parrot proved far more accurate than achieving an automatic lock. It increased the work load of the nav and resulted in more heads-in time on the radar than for monitoring the speed and rad alt but good navs could regularly get under 300 feet for a toss profile (NB, toss is different to loft). Manual radar laydown was also a challenge for a nav and a CEP of less than a 100 feet was very achievable. I see that the range hut at Rosehearty Range is now a luxury 4 bed residence for some hardy couple. Great sea view and fantastic for storm watching but just a little bit exposed for some southern softies I guess.