PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A.S.T. Perth (Scone) 1966
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2015, 20:23
asmccuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Memories of flying at Scone, before 1966!

Good to read some memories and names from Scone. Thanks for raising the subject Chris.
Although not a commercial student at AST, I had the good fortune to do my ATC Flying Scholarship at Strathtay Aero Club, as it was in these days, during summer 1953, with instructors 'Flag' Johnson and Dave Kay on Tiger Moths. Dave Kay, as CFI, signed off my PPL final test on G-AHUV in July 53. (I think G-AHUV is still active!)
I then flew from time to time with Strathtay/Scottish between 1954 and 1960 to keep my PPL current, being checked out when required by Tom Blyth and Andy Anderson on Tigers, civil Chipmunks and Messenger.
I have a very grainy photo of the Kay Gyroplane G-ACVA in the back of the hangar from that time.
My Scone experiences also included flying with Glasgow UAS on Chipmunks from Jan 55 to Dec 56, and practice forced landings at Errol.
I remember the names of Nugent and Critchley, and there was at least one Hamilton.
The Scone circuit with non radio Tigers, on radio Chipmunks, occasional Harvard and Oxfords and Ansons was a good learning process!
I must go back soon and look around.
Andrew McClymont