PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 10th Dec 2015, 14:05
Bergerie1

Received 48 Likes on 19 Posts
Clandestino,
Perhaps my one liner posts are a little too cryptic! First, I will come clean - I have never been qualified on Airbus types, though I have on several occasions flown some of their simulators. All my experience of jet types was on VC10s, 707s and 747s, on each of which I did CofA testing which included lots of stalling.
Having watched the video you mentioned it seems clear that, in what I would call a 'normal stall environment' as done in flight testing and training, there is a considerable degree of natural pre-stall buffet. Thus there is no certification requirement for artificial protections such as stick shaker and/or stick pusher as in the T-tail VC10.
However, as others have mentioned, and I know to be the case, when under high stress the first cognitive sense to 'fail' is hearing. The person under extreme stress just does not hear what is being said to him/her. This is one of the main reasons why, on aircraft requiring artificial protections, a stick shaker was used.
It would appear, in both the Air France and the Air Asia accidents, for most of the time the pilots did not recognise they were in a stall despite the aural alarms and voice shouting 'Stall, Stall, Stall'. Thus, it seems to me, a stick shaker, even though it may not be required under current certification rules, might have provided an additional warning stimulus when the pilot's hearing channel was blotted out by stress.