PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Argentine fast jet weapons choice - Falklands
Old 10th Dec 2015, 12:29
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
JTO
Imagine my surprise when the tasking from the RN still dictates the attack profile to be used on the next exercise. But things have moved on and we are told to conduct multi-axis attacks against a Type-23. They want pop-up attacks with simulated subsonic anti-ship missiles (Hawk T1s), stand-off jamming with fast air closing to visual range for further CIWS and visual AA gunning practise. The fast air is duly slaughtered and the arrogant debrief follows.
What we used to call 'Fighter Rules'. The Bombers ordered to use limited profiles to simulate what the defender, RN or UKADGE, thought was the likely profile used by the enemy.

In the Malta Sunspot series of ADEX the routed planned by Bomber Command often succeeded in penetrating despite the disadvantage of taking off from the joint AD/Bomber base thus rather limiting the vulnerability window.

In one exercise Bomber 'cheated' by sending a squadron of Vulcans direct from UK and penetrating at low level while the resident Vulcans loitered at the edge of radar cover.

Another year, over 3 days, the bomber tracks were varied and included spoof raids etc. Again some bombers got through.

In both cases Fighter Command cried foul saying the Egyptian Air Force was not that clever!