PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A.S.T. Perth (Scone) 1966
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2015, 11:47
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I did my PPL/Flying Scholarship at Scone in 1958 which was pretty much the start of my long flying career. I was given the choice of training on the Chipmunk or the Tiger Moth and opted for the latter. I first flew with Pooch on 17 July 1958 and he was, I think, known as the Commandant. In fact, he did my PPL test and I told the fearsome story on a previous thread "DH82a".

My main instructors were Tommy Blyth (CFI of the Scottish Aero Club) and Cyril Sweetman (ex-RAF Canberras?). Poor old Tommy, having survived the Halifax and WWII, got killed in a Chipmunk crash with an ATC cadet a couple of years later.

Bob Critchley gave me a couple of lessons and I also flew with Andy Anderson and Bill Lancaster. Some Kuwait Airways students were going through the AST course at the time and I was living next door to a chap called Safir. I believe he went on to be their Chief Pilot.

David Kay, who designed and built the Kay Gyroplane (G-ACVA) would appear in the bar on a Saturday night from time to time. His aeroplane was in the hangar and kept in good condition. It was apparently quite flyable although I never personally saw it airborne.