PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 9th Dec 2015, 18:31
Clandestino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Capn Bloggs
where the pilots were opposing each other like they were here...
Who says they were opposing each other?

the crew couldn't hand-fly (got it into a stall) and second couldn't recover
It has nothing to do with handflying skills. Aeroplane was commanded into stall and kept there because crew was totally unable to comprehend what happened. They couldn't recover? They never attempted recovery because they had no idea they needed to recover from self-inflicted stall.

Originally Posted by HundertPercentPlease
I would suggest that some people (as you point out, irrespective of experience, training, ability and so on) are much more pathologically prone to the latter rather than the former.
I would not go as far to suggest that it is pathological. If former fighter pilots can succumb to it, I don't feel many of us are safe.

You hold your button for 40 seconds, I'll just give my control column a good hard yank and it'll break.
...and when it breaks it will leave you with control of single elevator while Airbus system of stick priority leaves you flying with both! Another clear example of classic controls superiority over Airbus FBW.

Originally Posted by A0283
What we do not get in this case, with this low (CVR amongst others) content final report, is if the Capt did the 'unbelievable' thing of leaving his seat, how long that might have been, did he get back within these 9 seconds? or later
Probably later, but what difference would that make?

Originally Posted by safetypee
Their control inputs were not necessarily rushed, but consistent with the situation that they perceived – doing what they always do.
Pulling full aft stick/yoke is something crews always do?!? It must be very hard life in the cockpit if one has always be alert to the subtle difference of doing after start controls check and flying the approach.

Originally Posted by A0283
was he slumped over his stick
Was not. I know. I have read the report.

Originally Posted by Bergerie1
That is why a tactile cue is needed for a stall warning.
Airbı provide tactile cues through seat of one's pants. See video posted by unworry.

Originally Posted by Diversification
Somewhere I read after the turboprop crash that this pulling surprisingly occurred in 80 % of tested pilots.
Must be on PPRuNe.