PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2015, 14:16
KenV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you glossed over Eisenhower's overarching concern:

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the militaryindustrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.
I have a completely different take on it. In my view, his concern was not simply the "acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the militaryindustrial complex." They've had such influence since the late 19th and early 20th century for military acquisition programs. In my opinion his concern was that such influence would extend beyond military acquisition programs and into "the economic, political, even spiritual" well being of the nation and the "very structure of our society" and "our liberties or democratic processes." I'm satisfied that the military industrial complex has not made such inroads nor is in danger of doing so in the foreseeable future. And regarding the F-35 specifically, the F-35 in my opinion has essentially zero impact on the "economic, political, even spiritual" well being of the nation, nor the "very structure of our society" nor "our liberties or democratic processes."