PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 9th Dec 2015, 03:11
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To be fair, I have never flown a jet (so am unfamiliar with Airbus systems). But, the Airbus is type certified, as all certified aircraft, to a standard which includes the requirement that the aircraft must not require unusual pilot skill and attention to safely fly. It can't be presented as terribly difficult to fly through its full range of controlled flight. That's the airplane side of the interface.

The pilot(s) of an aircraft are duty bound to meet that interface halfway, with skill and experience appropriate to the aircraft type and the operating environment. Pilots are entitled to a learning phase, per type, or at least class of aircraft, during which they cannot be expected to have mastered all about the aircraft. But, when they are assigned as Captain, they better have it worked out.

For those times when I have flown passengers, I made damn sure I had mastered the aircraft. On a few occasions, that included taking the plane solo first, to assure my familiarity before carrying a passenger. That flight would ALWAYS include a few stalls - to the break.

Understandably, airline jet pilots don't have the same privilege to take the plane for half an hour refresher, as "small" plane pilots might. But in my opinion, that should be balanced off with these pilots having easy access to smaller aircraft for their refresher flying. I read that NASA Astronaut pilots are "sent" solo flying to remain sharp - so should airline pilots.

Some airline pilots seek out recreational flying, and keep their skills sharp - good for them, they are being true to themselves, and their passengers.

If their employer requires "training", great, but that does not need to be the only occasion when pilot build/maintain their skills.