PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hour building in the USA.
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2015, 19:43
oggers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK I have been hours building on the 152 in Kansas. The wet rate I am getting is 80 bucks (so about £55 wet). I am also getting a very good rate on accommodation here. The 152 is as good an airplane as the next one for hours building and difficult to beat on cost. Apart from that, hours building in the states has many advantages beyond the hourly rate. You can fly into any public airport with no landing fees. For instance, I regularly fly into big regional airports shutdown take a leak and get a coffee from the FBO, normally without even taking any fuel and hence it costs me not a penny extra. Or of I want a crew car to go into town I will just take a little fuel from the FBO, although in many cases they will give you a car regardless. And it's exactly the same deal at night because the ppl here can fly at night with no extra rating, and hence the vast majority of airfields are equipped with pilot controlled lighting, and you can turn up with no ppr, fly your patterns or land and refuel or just take a break - as the FBO is almost always accessible even when not manned up and unless you need fuel it costs nothing.

On top of all that I have been able to share with other students here and log safety pilot time which means we can both log PIC at the same time, because out here the ppl can fly and log simulated instrument time as well as fly safety pilot for anyone else. You do not need any additional rating for this beyond rated for the type of aircraft being flown.

In my opinion, at least as far as GA is concerned, the states beats the UK hands down.

If you PM me I will gladly provide you with the details of the flight school I am using here.