PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2015, 19:23
KenV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The USAF could not build the full run of the original C-17 buy(200+) but they didn't cancel the program and did recover from the low point of 80 something to get more than 100.
F-22's fate was similar to C-17: original run truncated.
Ummmm, the original plan was for 210 C-17s. 279 were built, with 224 being delivered to USAF. So I'm not sure what "truncated" means in this context.

But the acquisition plans for B-1, B-2, F-22, and A-12 were certainly truncated. So was LRAACA. If memory serves, so was the F-111 (with the B model being especially truncated.) We'll have to wait and see what happens with the LRSB. So I'm not sure what the relevancy is of an acquisition program that gets "truncated."

But I agree totally with your statement regarding the F-35 preserving a national capability. The UK lost their capability decades/a few generations ago. I think it wise that the US not follow that lead. And it would appear that the UK partnering on the JSF program has helped them not only preserve what capability they have retained, but has improved/expanded on that capability.