PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "I've decided NOT to contact Medlink"
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2003, 17:27
Shadowpurser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Danger "I've decided NOT to contact Medlink"

This is something that disturbed me while I was doing a briefing a few months ago. But also it came up in conversation with a good friend a few days ago.

Both times the crew had a medical incident on board during the cruise where they wanted medlink contacted for assitance, both times the captain decided NOT to contact Medlink.

As far as I am aware unless we are landing (which in neither situation was happening and no decision to divert had been made yet) it is the cabin crews decision to ask for medlink assistance and the captain should do as they ask. It may be a while before the captain is fully aware of all the facts because the assessor on the scene may be in the process of saving someones life.

In a serious medical incident time is the number one most important factor and the quicker things happen the more likely things will turn out ok. If we have asked for Medlink assistance it is not something we do lightly and you can be sure that we think things are looking pretty bad.

It can take up to an hour to contact Medlink so again any delay can be the difference between life and death.

The thing to think about in any medical situation is to have as much help and assistance as possible, not hinderance. If it was a loved one of yours being treated by a crew member you'd want them to have every possible chance of survival - Medlink is one more chance!!

I'd hate to be the one to tell the family that everything possible was NOT done. I'd also hate to be the person who hadn't acted on the cabin crews request for medlink assistance and it all going wrong - a lifetime of guilt?

Scary stuff!! Think about it.....