PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 412
Thread: Bell 412
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2015, 13:16
Phoinix

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I just finished my recurrent on the 412 at DFW South location. It's a brand new sim capable of 412EP with EFIS, Fast Fin and 4 axis AP. Extremely detailed visuals and updated flight data. The later was a huge surprise.

The instructor gave us a tail rotor drive shaft failure... Surprise surprise, the 412 is not capable of flight at any speed, Fast fin or not. If you enter an autorotation fast enough your only option is to follow it through the right turn, flaring at about 100-ish ft and of course than the left yaw comes that will turn you about 90º. So the flyaway no longer possible they teach to auto immediately and follow it through the right yaw.

I was on the old 212 sim and slightly newer 412 sim some years ago and I remember you could clearly fly away at a low power setting at vy.

All this has me puzzled; 212/412 fuselage concept - the 212 has spiral dive tendency, too much directional stability, that's why it got the dihedral sail. But now, with new data, we get that something that ought to keep you straight is unable to do just that.