PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2015, 05:28
Tourist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glad rag
Tourist, you seem to have arbitrarily taken on the role of thread moralist.

One hopes that your efforts do not become deleterious; remember those who live in glass houses my friend...
Fair point.

The reason I have taken on this role is because I think it matters.

The Military Forum is nowadays anything but.
There is barely a thread that has any relevance to current military events or matters, and even fewer actual serving members who post.

There are many reasons for this, some of them very good i.e. we have been in conflicts for 15 yrs and people correctly don't want to discuss anything that can help the enemy.

This thread however is sometimes everything that is good about Pprune. It contains posts from the knowledgeable articulately explaining points of interest (both positive and negative) about the F35 project.

I don't tend to post here, because I essentially know nothing first hand for myself about it apart from some general aviation knowledge and knowledge of carrier ops.

I do however read it because I have a not unreasonable wish to know what the future holds for aviation in the RN.

Posts from the naysayers without reasonable explanation are equally as annoying as the fanboy fantasies, but the simple "you are an idiot" posts are worse yet.

If somebody is telling lies/living in a dream world, then post articulately explaining where they have gone wrong with references.

If there are no references, then it is just your opinion and no more valid than the fanboys opinion.

If you think your opinion has validity based solely on your background, then justify that. Say who you are, or at least what you do.

If you are a journo, say who you are before defending yourself. To do otherwise is disingenuous.

This thread contains jewels of interesting info from some great posters who know what they are talking about. Either their posts establish their credibility from their well explained points or references (Engines etc) or their name carries the same weight (Farley etc)

For those of us who have no name, the post should contain more than just simple abuse.

I get banned reasonably regularly from a variety of threads. Usually I know and understand why. I do have a combative debating style.

It is odd on here however that people call for the banning of the people who get the abuse by the abusers.

That makes no sense.