PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 8th Dec 2015, 03:14
Feather #3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am absolutely with Centaurus on this one!

Along time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, we were being instructed in UA recovery in the sim by a chap of Asian extraction. The syllabus/checklist recall was the [then] new Boeing UA recovery program.

The input of the instructor was that the only way the recovery should be done by we inexperienced pilots was to do so on the autopilot. This was totally against the Boeing requirements [and for that matter, our employers!!]

My problem with this is that if the autopilot fails and causes an upset, you don't have an autopilot on which to recover [or would you trust the "other" one??] Thus, skip some years to sitting in the RHS over Europe, red light on the INS and the aircraft takes off in an upward left hand turn from FL330. Quick disconnect, recover and engage the other autopilot.

Back to Centaurus' argument; teach it right in the first place and it will stick, backed up by practice.

Indeed, when instructing the same sequence, I would complete the syllabus, then if we had time [mostly], do the same exercise, but freeze the pilot's PFD attitude in a non-representative position and get the guys to recover on the standby. Without exception, they all thanked me for the additional input.

G'day

PS The "Bahrain Bomber" was the forerunner of this stuff and not really repeated until FBW machines came along.