PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 8th Dec 2015, 00:47
PrivtPilotRadarTech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It does seem outrageous that professional pilots would ignore a stall warning (thinking as a mere private pilot, drilled on stalls), but.... if the rudder on my Cessna suddenly kicked and threw the plane into a yaw and bank, maybe I'd be startled too. Airbus needs to make some changes. Why not degrade to a "Safe Mode", where the aircraft maintains wings level, thrust and AOA set to a known good level? Professional pilots said that is the fallback, simple enough to automate that. How about instead of "Stall Stall" it says "Stall, push nose down NOW!", like the ground prox warning "Pull up!". It costs nothing to do that. On the sticks, add a friggin' vibrator. Dirt cheap, easy mod. If the other pilot is moving the stick, you NEED TO KNOW NOW. The senior pilot can then tell the other pilot "My Aircraft", Sully style, and know if the other pilot is respecting that. In the case of Allah Akbar, he can punch that sucker out. These problems are very rare, but the consequences are severe. I would imagine that most pros NEVER encounter a stall warning in an AirBus, NOR have a situation where the other pilot is flailing away with the side stick, but if it does happen it's a crisis. The software has to take that into account.