PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What will recreational flying be like in a few decades?
Old 8th Dec 2015, 00:33
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Well, it seems that electric is the future of GA, with nuclear a very distant second.

For our electric plane, we'll have to open our minds a little, the old way of doing things won't cut it....

At what power setting would we perform the compass swing? Cruise power, I suppose, 'cause that's where you'd want the compass to be most accurate. There must be some stray magnetism around that motor somewhere...

The flight manual, what will the performance charts say about range and endurance? What about on the cold day, when you're running full seat heaters, and defrost, and extra watts are being used? ("cause it's not going to have exhaust muff heat!)

What about the regs? Will you still have to flight plan with a 30 minute VFR fuel reserve? And how do you dip the tanks to check the watts before your flight?

If you crash, and tear the wings off, will you get electrocuted?

If GA airports struggle to amortize the fuel tanks and pumps, will the cost of the wires and solar cells become a deal breaker?

Honestly, a client has approached me with a C-150 STC mod to electric to think about - so I'm thinking!