PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 7th Dec 2015, 13:49
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by despegue
Any airline not supporting raw data flying is simply a danger in tha air.
Any pilot afraid or unwilling or unable to fly raw data on a regular basis simply has no business on a flightdeck.
While I understand and would like to see the above made a universal requirement, I don't think that is as easy to universally implement as is necessary.

What might be a great help would be some simple modifications to the operation of Alternate Law that would give these weaker sticks a chance to catch their breath rather than throwing them directly into the pool of "Alternate Law, roll direct".

Something as simple as an automatic wing leveler in Alternate Law would probably have prevented both QZ8501 and AF447 and would not interfere with normal control. As I understand, there isn't an announcement of Alternate Law when the change occurs, just indications on the PFD.
I believe it is essential that pilots know that they are in Alternate Law before they consider making that first full deflection aileron input that panics them. All they need to know then is that Alternate Law means gentle corrections!

Discussions about stall recovery procedures are appropriate of course, but fall into the category of putting the ambulance at the bottom of the precipice rather than putting the fence at the top. Once you panic a person, unpredictable effects can negate your best training.