PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Education Requirements and prereqs?
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2015, 05:17
jet_pilot00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well do yourself a favour from the start.

If you EVER want to work for an airline then go and complete the TAFE bridging courses for maths (and English if req) before you spend even one cent on flight training.

Flight schools will tell you it doesn't matter and it doesn't if you want to stay in GA and earn 60K (at best) forever, but I assure you that you will feel a lot of pain having spent thousands on training only to find out that you can't get through the maths and English bridging courses that the airlines require. Not to mention that these courses won't be completed over night and you will most likely find that a hard task to fit in around your flying job. It will mean considerable time off.

It's not an easy industry to make your way through. CASA is making it harder by the day. Do plenty of research first. Dare I say a LOT more than you have so far. Go and find some guys that are actually flying around now - guys in chieftains and 402's that know how hard it is to move along. It's an expensive start (training) and it doesn't get easier for the first 3-5 years flying around in singles looking for that first twin gig.

And if you are thinking capital city jobs, nice accomodation and an easy trek to the airlines after flight training like I have seen and heard from plenty of young lads (and ladies) then give up now.

If you just said to yourself "wow that sounded brutal" then you're welcome. Im not going to sugar-coat it and you won't hear the truth from many...

HECS is available through various Universities. They will more than likely want Physics, English and Maths along with a healthy OP/ HSC mark.

Don't let the old "we can get you a Cadetship" suck you in. Sure, if somewhere along the line you jag one then great, but you would be a fool to become one of the long line of guys that are "not interested in GA, I'm just finishing uni and going to get a Cadetship". Ha!

Honestly, it looks to me like you would be best aiming at a job (not subway or MD's, a decent paying job) post high school for a few years that will give you the time to do the bridging courses which will get you into uni (or airlines down the track) AND make you some money. And you need to save that money because HECS may get you through flight school, but it won't get you through GA.

Good luck!

Last edited by jet_pilot00; 7th Dec 2015 at 05:36.