PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 7th Dec 2015, 02:45
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been a bit slow in reading the full accident report and analyzing the parameters provided, too much other stuff going on in life.

The commonality with the loss of control that occurred in AF447 after the drop to Alternate law is too compelling a similarity to ignore.

I've had bad vertigo at night and I've seen roll PIO in a simulator and I'm trying to form an opinion on which of these might have been at play that terrified the PF. Of course it could have been solely that he was terrified of simply handflying in actual instrument conditions.

In any case, we now have two cases where apparently weak sticks completely lost the bubble by inexplicably pulling back on the stick when unexpectedly thrust into an Alternate Law-Roll Direct situation. That is the common thread I am concerned about.

Of course Airbus has put their test pilots into the same situation and they say, "no big deal, just fly the aircraft." Maybe what we need to do instead is to put some of the newer pilots behind the controls of a simulator that accurately behaves as the aircraft does at altitude and to try to replicate some of these loss of control incidents. Then we could actually interview some survivors to find out what really happens. You could grab them fresh off a line flight while they are still tired to improve the odds of having a loss of control to study.

Until we accurately understand why these loss of control incidents are happening in Alternate law, we are throwing darts in the dark as to the best corrective action.