PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow Sumburgh - End Of An Era
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2015, 06:58
Phil Kemp

Location: Sussex, New Brunswick. Formerly Bowen Island B.C. Canada - one of the greatest places to live on Earth...
Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I was saddened to hear about Dave, I always found him to be a very pleasant and entertaining individual when I worked with him in Aberdeen, and later when I got to know him much better when I was in Sumburgh picking up a bunch of S61's we had just bought. My thoughts are with all the family.

Also, it is nice to see recognition for my cousin, Gerald Flaws during the Beryl rescue. There were two Shetlanders (and neighbours from Hestingott) on that flight - Peter Moar was also there on that flight.

There were some pretty amazing missions undertaken by the crews in Shetland in the early days, (both BAH and Bristow} before the inception of the dedicated SAR capability there. When you consider that they were locally trained and the limited resources for maintaining currency, some of those early missions were quite amazing in the success of their outcomes.

Peter Hutchinson, Henry Burgess and myself were at the point of Garthsness one day watching another Bristow rescue when they successfully pulled the crew from a burning tug (with a barge undertow), I remeber that Alan Taylor was on the hook for that one, but can't remember the rest of the crew.

Great days, with great people. Very fond memories.