PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aussie fire contracts
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2003, 08:09
helmet fire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
clearance: I was addressing your comments that you thought there was no place for a 206 type acft with a bucket beneath it. I dont think anyone has argued that there should only be one type on the fire.

JE: I think the 117 on a 100ft line is still not as effective as the 206 for mop up due to the factors I mentioned. In particular, DUFAS or not, the bucket weight and inertia is too high to work in too close to ground crew without added risk, and given the general ignorance of these risks by the ground crews who are so job focussed, I think it is not ideal. Rotor downwash is far too harsh in the 117, even on the end of a 100 ft line. The cost per litre arguement goes out the door due to the generally low number of drops per hour during mop up.

I thoroughly agree with your comments that "no system is perfect". This flows into the thrust of my angle that a multi type response to a fire season offers the most flexibility and therefore the most appropriate and effective response. That always includes the airtractors, crop duster.

Here is how the fire day might go in an ideal world....

I reckon a fixed wing mapping acft is out and back by 1 hour prior to first light with all the mapping completed. The plan is done by first light and the 206s/500s launch with the ground section leaders for recon of their section of the fire, to be dropped into the same pad as the rest of their section who have arrived by medium (212/205/412). Then the hand over from the night crew who go out by medium. The 206s/500s start doing the air attack stuff, one dedicated to laying defensive retardent lines with the airtractors and other fixed wing. One identifies the area of concern (from the IR mapping) and begins employing the mediums and heavy helicopters by about 9.30 am. [I know that getting into it BEFORE the fire is out of control is a wee bit controversial!! and not so good for revenue - but hey, we can always cross our fingers and hope someone sayds the magic word: BACKBURN!]

The AAS matches assets avcailable to the task. He will call the belly tankers into the urban fringes and use the superior water drop rate of the bucket machines in the bush. The experienced AAS will state the intent of the plan to the mediums and heavies, then stay out of it unless needed to deconflict, send assets home, call more assets forward, and to modify the plan as the situation evolves. Another 206 is circling with the incident commander keeping tabs on developments. Another may be specifically positioned downwind of the fire with circling fixed wing bomber support to immediately call them in on dangerous spotovers. Other 206s are now starting to get their long lines on and head out to sections of the line secured by ground crews so they can do mop up, each working directly for the ground section leader with no AAS. More mediums are working directly for a ground leader who has begun a backburn, ensuring crew safety, reduce spots, and control burn rate if required.
And so the day goes.
A multi type approach will always offer the best coverage of the various scenarios a fire season presents.
Just my 200 bobs worth!!