PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2015, 09:40
bobward

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Torque,
First of all, I never intended any slur upon those trying so hard to get the whole mess sorted out. My closing statement was based on hard cold facts. As an ATC squadron training officer I regularly check cadets record of service books, so I can offer the following:

Fact 1: The only cadets who have had powered flying in light aircraft under RAF sponsored conditions in the last year are three senior NCO's who achieved flying scholarships in September this year. A few others did get trips whilst on annual camp. However, since less then ten went to camp, from a squadron of around 30, that's a low number to me.

Fact 2: When cadets decide to leave, I'll go through their record of service books,to make sure they get credit for what they might have achieved with us. Sad to say, in many instances, the flying sections have no entries in them.

Adding up my cadet service, and subsequent instructor time, I've now spent 50 years with the ACO. I consider it to be the pre-eminent youth organisation in this country and am fiercely proud of having had the privilege of being part of i. I grow increasingly angered, saddened and disheartened at the way I see 'the system' taking violin lessons whilst the organisation smolders.....

End of rant.