PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 5th Dec 2015, 08:18
buddhahat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frequency of switch to alt law?

Hi, I'm a layperson that has lurked for quite a while and first time posting.

With the the Air France flight and now this Air Asia flight both having situations where the flight system has switched to alternate law from normal law and subsequent crew confusion and LoC and aircraft loss, I'm curious as to how often (and if it is even logged and disclosed) that aircraft crews experience situations that result in change of law and their ability to cope?

The very interesting (to me at least) Vanity Fair article about Air France a few years ago made the observation that when a complex machine takes care of itself 98% of the time (and humans more or less just monitor the machine), when the 2% problems arise that cause the machine to lose the ability to fly itself, it is probable that the situation is so complex that the flight crew will have issues understanding and coping with the situation.

so my question stems from this articles assertion and wondering if, in day to day commercial piloting this is truly an issue?