PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Talk me out of buying a PA44 Seminole...
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2015, 22:12
AN2 Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re the Seminole, I would have to agree with the poster who said he'd prefer a Twin Commanche, particularly one with Rajay Turbos.

The Twin Com is a much better airplane in any regard. It does not have the T-Tail, has more space in the cabin, is faster with less fuel flow and has a fantastic range. Some of them are even de-iced.

There is one for sale right now, which has the de-icing, not FIKI mind, but a lot better than nothing.

PlaneCheck Aircraft for Sale - New planes and price reductions

While I know nothing else of this plane and while it would need an avionic upgrade, it is one of the few with de-icing and seems generally in a good condition with useable hours.

Otherwise I'd look for a turbo twin com exemplar.

Generally:

The low asking prices of twins has to do with the fact that they are regarded as undesirable by the general GA crowd due to higher cost and fuel consumption. That is true to a degree, but I think the Twin Com for instance is one good example where a very capable airplane can actually be operated for little more than a high performance single.

At the same time, a twin will get you home in many cases where a SEP won't. Over the sea, at night, in IMC to minimas, a twin is simply a safer choice to fly in most cases.

Clearly, planes like the non turbocharged Twin Com or the Seminole (also the Seneca I) have a horrlible low single engine ceiling, which won't keep you out of the dirt in a mountaineous area or so. Yet, the areas in Europe where that is really important are comparatively small, most flights either N or S of the Alps are in terrain which most of those Twins can handle single engined on a drift down. I did fly a Seneca I a long time ago, with 2 on board and half fuel it was able to hold 7000 ft while drifting down from 10k, even in Switzerland that would assure a landing as long as the critical failure won't happen directly over the Alps.

Then again, a Seneca II will hold 17k ft with one engine inop.

So I would not really say in general that light twins are useless. They are also a sight cheaper than a parashute plane in most cases. For what you spend to get that shute, you can operate a light twin for several years.

So no, I won't talk you out of a Seminole but would caution you to look at others first. Twin Commanche or also a Seneca II can be a much more capable airplane.