PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA Restructure?? Game set and match to Bureaucracy!
Old 4th Dec 2015, 20:05
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
CASA Restructure?? Game set and match to Bureaucracy!

So according to "The Australian" and Steve Creedy, CASA is going to be restructured?

I told you so.

The RAPAC concerns come as CASA is heading towards a restructure and is grappling with rising anger about the need to fix flawed regulatory reforms. It also faces criticism about the pace at which it has adopted recommendations by the Aviation Safety Regulation Review chaired by industry veteran David Forsyth.

The restructure is due to take place by the middle of next year and will collapse six existing operational groups into three under the broader headings of stakeholder engagement, aviation and sustainability.
Skidmore is ****ed!

He has been sold the oldest dummy in the book "a restructure will fix all our problems". This conclusively demonstrates his failure and the triumph, once again, of senior CASA management (the alleged 'iron ring"). I will spare you the alleged Petronius quote, but really, who does CASA think they are kidding?

The reorganisation will allegedly flow from the outcome of the Forsyth review -" you wanted us to change and we are changing!" they will say if they have not done so already.

There will be a great deal of paper shuffling, new stationary, new job descriptions, change management consultants, business process redesign consultants, working groups, newsletters, etc. etc.

And the net result for us "consumers"?? A big fat round ZERO! In fact less than zero for Two reasons:

(1) Implementation of any Forsyth review recommendation will be postponed until 'after the reorganisation". In fact any and all delays, stuff ups, mistakes and rotten service for the next Two years will be blamed on "The restructure". No reform, amendment or change is possible or contemplated until "after the restructure". We have a state of organisational paralysis as of now.

(2) Long after the reorganisation is complete, including at least Six months for "bedding down the new structure" the Forsyth review recommendations will be discarded with the excuse that: " The review referred to the old CASA, not the new streamlined CASA, which was restructured to account for the review recommendations anyway, hence the Forsyth review recommendations are now irrelevant in that they do not refer to the organisation we have now become".

Of course by then we are in, or past, an election cycle so there is a new Minister, perhaps a new Labor Government, who will have to have a year to "get their feet under the table", hence we have delayed reform by at least Three years. Rinse and repeat……..

I forecast that restructure was going to be the likely CASA response some time ago. I can now assure you now that the end state will still be exactly the same:

- A rotten aviation Act administered by self interested bureaucrats.

- A Federal Government that just wants Aviation to go away. They trust the bureaucrats to make it so.

As I have repeatedly said, The only way forward is to mount a credible electoral threat to sitting members of Parliament in marginal seats. Nothing else will get their attention.

Rewrite the ACT to require the fostering of a vibrant aviation industry sector in all its forms. Separate rule making from rule enforcement - two organisations required. Guarantee the absolute independence of the ATSB. Adopt the plain English NZ/FAA regulations and throw out the EASA model. Get rid of the "government business enterprise" model.

As I have also said, the Mandarins in Prime Minister and Cabinet Department know exactly how to do this, but it is never going to be a priority unless politicians skin is threatened electorally - a political campaign is all that is left. The Bureaucrats will stonewall you for ever, as they have just done again by "reorganising".

Last edited by Sunfish; 4th Dec 2015 at 20:18.