PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 4th Dec 2015, 16:47
Harry Lime

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QE drop Herc Crew

Flt. Lt Paddy Quaid was the Air Eng on the drop. A few months later he did my Final Handling Check at Topcliffe and paved the way for my future career in the Air/Flt Engineer world. My RAF career was simply as Aircraft Apprentice at Locking in 103rd Entry, a couple of ground postings before going to Topcliffe for Air Eng training. Was on 47 Sqn from '73 to '77 before leaving to join BA on the 747 Fleet. Twenty three very happy years later I retired and now reside in Spain.

During my service with the RAF there were no serious wars as such, so posting here on this thread in the company with some brave souls I recognise (I think), I feel a bit of a 'Flying club ' type. My one exciting moment was when landing at Aldergrove one dark and dirty morning, - were they ever any different, we were greeted with "Check the aeroplane for bullet holes. There are reports they were firing at you as you came over the hedge." Of course being the Air Eng my job was to crawl on my back under the low slung belly of the beast in "The early morning rain", whilst greater mortals than I scanned the wings and empanage replete with brollies. I tell you it's true what they say, War is Hell!

One other story I can recall was being told somewhere along the way that if we completed twenty eight landings at Salalah we would be given the GSM with Dhofar clasp. After I had done twenty five landings the rebels gave up and I left with a clean breast!

To all and any contributors/readers, you may remember me as the Irish Eng from long ago. Looking at the photo of the 'Rhodesia' crew, I recognise four of the five and remember good times with all of you , and more.