PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter down at Shoreham
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2015, 10:18
Genghis the Engineer

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts
Perhaps the important question, not being asked, is "is AAIB being adequately resourced to report as quickly as the aviation community would prefer, as accurately as the aviation community requires".

I suspect that the answer is increasingly "no" - not least because it is also, far too seldom now, publishing any broader reviews of accidents with collective recommendations - that has happened in the past and was a Good Thing, but unless I'm missing something, really isn't happening nowadays.

I appreciate that we have a government busy trying to drive down public sector costs, but aviation does need a competent and adequately resourced accident investigation body, just as it also needs a similarly provided authority. Not having either is causing everybody to suffer.

I'm not proposing that safety is being immediately compromised by lack of resources - but maybe in the longer term it is. Perhaps we need a law whereby the AAIB can bill aircraft insurers for all or part of the cost of investigating accidents - that'll pass the cost on to us as aircraft operators, but it would be a mechanism that resources AAIB better, and keeps t'government happy about the use of taxpayers' money?

G

Last edited by Genghis the Engineer; 4th Dec 2015 at 10:35.