PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QZ8501: Telling it how it is
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2015, 04:09
chimbu warrior

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts
Willie....

Good points, and I think your own little analytical mnemonic is excellent.

Regarding allowable resets, yes I was aware that Airbus specifies allowable resets using circuit breakers, however I wonder if in the modern era this leads some pilots to the assumption that all circuit breakers are a form of reset button. As you point out the the statement

In flight, as a general rule, the crew must restrict computer resets to those listed in the table
........is a little too vague for some.

Perhaps a more dogmatic statement would clarify this, however there are always going to be those who simply do not have the background knowledge to understand the ramifications of pulling and resetting C/B's other than those specified by Airbus.

My post was not intended to ignore the golden rules, nor, heaven forbid, have this thread reduces to an A versus B argument. I think that in an age where we use devices in everyday life that play up occasionally and are "cured" by a reset, a reset mindset has developed.

We also have a number of engineers who I believe rely too heavily on this mindset, and I fear that these may have been but a couple of the many holes in the cheese that aligned on this occasion.

I agree 100% that pitch and power will always give you control of the aircraft, and lament that an apparent lack of such basic skills appears to have again led to substantial loss of life.