PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Talk me out of buying a PA44 Seminole...
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2015, 21:32
maehhh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talk me out of buying a PA44 Seminole...

Just tire kicking here, but still most interested in the discussion!

Mission: Touring with 2 POB, max 500-600nm legs, occasionally bimbling around VFR just for the sake of being airborne. AVGAS availabilty is usually no problem.

Here's why:

a) They are quite cheap to buy (certainly cheaper than most high performance SEPs)
b) There are plenty out there and it is still in production, parts & maintenance should be widely available (unlike with lots of other vintage AVGAS twins)
c) In the end it is a Piper Arrow with two standard engines... how bad can the maintenance bill really be?!
d) It has a second engine!! (At least once you are a few feet in the air that's a nice thing to have!)
e) I love flying at night but hate doing it in a SEP (unless it had a chute)
f) It is not a turbocharged and/or pressurized high-end touring machine so bimbling around VFR is not prohibitive
g) Relatively docile handling with one engine out
h) 90% of my flights are 1 or 2 POB so a 4-seater is more than enough
i) Two well-leaned 4 cylinder engines burn only a little more fuel than a single 6 cylinder
j) stable platform for IFR flights (not IFR rated yet, but will change that within the next 24 month)
k) Normally no glass cockpit but I am a bit old fashioned and actually like the steam gauges
l) They are not unpopular for MEP training, so there is a realistic chance to find a buyer once you want to get rid of it again
m) Oh did I mention I has a second engine!?

Sure everything in aviation is a compromise so lets face it:

a) You have to keep your skills sharp when it comes to one engine out scenarios, but then that's just a good excuse to fly more often!
b) A SR22T / A36TC / TTX / Acclaim / you-name-it at FL200 will still cruise faster
c) If you brake it down to MPG there are certainly more efficient twins and singles out there, but then you saved a lot of cash purchasing it compared to any high-end sEP and
saved a lot of money operating it compared to some other fast but highly-complex twin engined maintenance nightmare

So Gentlemen, what's your thoughts on this topic?

BR
maehhh