PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Side step "private flying" entirely?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2015, 17:57
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was training with my young charge the other day, in the Super Cub, with my teaching her full pedal sustained forward slips for the purpose of loosing lots of altitude to make your chosen spot. She asked me if an airliner could do the same. I thought for a moment ('cause I'm not a jet pilot) an offered that I thought probably yes, though you'd really be throwing the pax around in the back, and with the availability of spoilers it was probably much less necessary.

But, if I recall, the Air Canada 767, which came to be known as the "Gimli Glider" for the power off landing on the runway in Gimli, Manitoba, was slipped to get it onto the spot. Hence the reference to glider pilot skills - actually hand flying the plane!

I wonder if the "never learned PPL" jet pilots of tomorrow will ever be taught the tricks to get an aircraft to make the spot?

Interestingly, though I earned my helicopter license years ago, and have some decent type training since, it was only recently I was taught to sideslip during autorotation to make a spot which was nearly directly below - it works a treat!