PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jackaroo
Thread: Jackaroo
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2015, 11:00
regentbl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G-APAP

I was a co_owner of AP in the 70's at Upavon. It was a dreadfull tug and in poor condition. I remember the plugs needed changing virtually daily and the misfiring engine was normal! It was a lot steadier than the tiger owing to the ailerons further outboard and the wider maingear, the result of the wider cabin. We removed the right hand seats to save weight but they had the harnesses attached which came in useful later when the directive came from the CAA to install shoulder harnesses on the left front seat. ( None were fitted!). I simply cut a hole in the leatherette seat back and bolted the liberated harness on. Voila and no paperwork. Around this time I flew G-APAM from Inkpen; a much nicer Jackaroo painted yellow/ red sunburst stripes and white leather seats and sharkskin grips on the sticks! I flew it for the only time 4 up to Redhill with CFI Ray Hunt. It performed remarkably well. Climb speed 60; cruise at 1900 RPM gave about 75 if I remember correctly. Without brakes on an undulating airfield in the wind caused a few minor disasters!