PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alouette
Thread: Alouette
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2003, 02:03
cpt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another feature, beside settling with power (a few hairaising experiences !) with Alouettes 3's is the aft Cof G when only a pilot and almost a full tank....in this configuration the tail is very low on hover , here we have to remember that this big tail rotor is close to obstacles (bushes, logs ....) and not very well protected by its guard (aluminium tube). If i remember well, when the pilot alone on board weights less than 65 Kgs, a balast is advised.
Take also care of the fuel gauge...normally, you should have the "3 minutes left" flashing red light modification, this is independant of the fuel gauge wich was the cause of a number of accidents in the 80's ( this actually happened to me at 400 feet with a non modified system... a successfull autorotation followed, but I was lucky ; the empty tank was at a good 150 liters reading !!!)....After that I had calibrated a dipstick and got used of assessing the fuel level in the tank by a direct look inside (we can see the level above 300 liters, against the holes in inside separation wall)
Anyway, when thinking about all of this, I realize I miss her