PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 2nd Dec 2015, 14:23
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mr Snuggles

Some interesting comments and observations but if I may can I bring up a couple of points before somebody else does?

fly more in your free time.
I think you may just get a bit of robust feedback on that, so I'll be gentle.

Most pilots on full time contracts these days are working long hours on quite punishing rosters...I know there's this idea we are all "total aviation people" but in reality many don't have time to rush down to the flying club for a bit of GH on a day off...even if him/her indoors would sanction it . It's also worth taking a look at the cost of flying in some parts of the world, and in any event many a newer pilot's cash is spoken for in repaying training loans.

Challenge yourself with some home sim software.
Ummm.....well....you need be aware of it's limitations (and most of it is very limited) and be very very aware of negative training....I'm not sure a PC/joystick combo has much stick and rudder training value for someone flying a Boeing as a day job......

If more training is the answer then it must be done properly, using realistic equipment and not left to the individual ...and that will cost the industry money.

Last edited by wiggy; 2nd Dec 2015 at 14:36.