PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 2nd Dec 2015, 00:56
autoflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilots are the final safety net

What were the captains thinking for at least the previous year about repetitive faults? In Indonesia (and possibly elsewhere) do captains think it is OK to continue flying an aircraft that has ongoing flight control problems?

Let me provide possible answers to my questions, but I would also welcome other input.
  • engineers will finally discover the malfunction with a permanent rectification
  • there must be a repetitive faults register with a red flag showing
  • it is not really a pilot matter
  • I won't make waves or I might lose my job
  • the company knows what it is doing
  • they must surely be talking to Airbus about this problem by now
  • this couldn't possibly contribute to an accident
  • there have been many tech log entries. I don't need to add to the list of what is already well known to the company
  • I couldn't possibly refuse to fly this aircraft. Executive and check pilots are continuing to fly it so it must be OK. How would it look if I refused?
  • I am only a co-pilot. Would it be illegal for me to refuse to fly this aircraft?
The accident report didn't seem to address the above very important issues. How come the accident report fails to consider the individual actions that aircrew can take to save their own lives before the event?

Readers who don't currently have the fortitude to save their own lives, take note.