PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 2nd Dec 2015, 00:46
Freehills

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe Swiss and 100% are correct. Our modern world which includes cheap flights for all comes at a price - we will kill a few hundred every now and again. No part of the "system" we fly under can be absolved - including ATC with their pathetic noise maximisation procedures and prohibition of visual approaches. Everything we do is driven by cost - cheaper is perceived as being better. Our training is cut to the minimum prescribed, clowns in flight ops. departments prohibit things like manual flight and manual thrust and we spend our entire lives saving pennies. The same rot has moved into our technical departments. The clever little MBA whizz-kids have worked out how few spares we needs to carry and how little time we need to fix things so that engineers are nown under pressure to release aircraft they would prefer not to. And all of this is overseen by imbeciles like EASA (stress on the middle syllable).

We will have a kill a few more thousand and get the public really scared of flying cheaply before things will change.

PM

Playing devils advocate here, from a Indonesian DGAC/ transport ministry point of view. LCC in Indonesia have killed I think 169 people since starting up 15 years ago. In the mean time they have flown 100m+ trips that would otherwise been on ferries or long distance coaches.

32,000 Indonesians die on the roads every year, can't find ferry deaths, but a quick google search shows ferry accidents in recent years with death tolls of 250+. Continuing to encourage LCC growth is absolutely the right thing for DGAC to do, and has almost certainly saved a large number of lives.

The calculus will be different in the West, and I can understand why EU would ban many Indonesian carriers. But in Indonesia, they have been a huge overall win