PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2015, 20:47
iPahlot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. If you read the forum conditions you'll see that an admin will probably remove this portion...

2. Not too late at all, though will probably require more sacrifice on your and who ever will follow you on your journey (partner, kids etc) than say if you were a 20 year old.

3. the NT is most definitely not the only place to get your first gig, regional WA and regional SA are also quite common places for people to get their first charter gig. There are of course some that have had their first gig in other states, but the above mentioned are your most likely candidates.

IRT doing your training in Darwin, well there really isn't much in the way of flight training up here, though I have heard of some schools starting up. (Someone more in the know might be able to elaborate in this for you). It may help you network, but given the history of flight training in Darwin and the lack of longevity of the schools, mixed in with the rather expensive cost of living I'd think twice about it. Unless of course you have a good job up here to supplement this.

4. The school you do your training with doesn't usually have much of a weighing with operators. I'd suggest you stay away from anyone training "airline cadets" or large number of foreigners. Read some of the other threads on what you really should be looking for and asking.

One thing I would add to "what to ask" list, is what the flying schools limitations are for weather. It's surprising to see how many people you see now a days that haven't experienced more than a 5-8kt x-wind as the flying school didn't allow it and have never flown when the weather was marginal. Of course I'm not saying go for a school that has a cavalier attitude to weather, rather a school that teaches you how to properly evaluate weather in a commercial sense (read: learn how to fly when it's not CAVOK legally!). This is invaluable when doing VFR charter "up north".