PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 1st Dec 2015, 15:53
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are really in a hurry, you may try 3 Words instead...
"I have Control"

This might be one of those situations where more words might be better.

"let go of the fecking stick you nunce."

In AF both pilots were bemused and the captain unable to intervene even if he had become aware of the problem,, its cause, and the solution. Here, it seems the captain was trying to do the correct thing with control input, but was thwarted. How he could have been thwarted for so long is a question. Is the F/O's seat too far for a punch, or was g an inhibiting factor in restraining the frozen rabbit.
Similar to ASF seems to be that the stall was broken by control input and then re-entered also by control input. Worrying times. In the past 15 years there have been an astounding number of flyable a/c stalled into CFIT. In various cultures and XAA regimes and on various types. OK, they might have had a tech problem = 1st hole in the cheese, but no reason to keep chewing and make more. And what has been the worldwide XAA reaction to this astonishing phenomenon? Not too much. What has been the operators reaction to this risk? Rigid SOP's so you stay even further away from the boundaries. And the reaction of the manufacturers? more warnings, back ups and automatics. Oh Dear.
There was a thread on AI speeding up the pilotless aeroplane. Some advocated it and might even use this scenario as supporting evidence. I wonder, in the case being discussed under "Captain fired from Allegiance Air for an EVAC." what an AI a/c would have done. And there are other scenarios which mitigate in favour of pilots. Hopefully this sad case will not lead to further clamouring for more automatic a/c. I think the solution lies else where.