PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tiger A320 - another "lost" cowling?
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2015, 09:32
India Four Two

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
What struck me when listening to the audio tape was how poorly the Singapore controllers behaved during this incident. I recall hearing at least twice, the controller reading back verbatim what the PNF had just said to him and then added "Confirm?". As for not understanding the word "cowling", I would have expected better English comprehension than that.

I got the feeling that the controllers were completely out of their depth, when handling a non-normal situation. As for asking how many VIPs on board, I expect that was a requirement of their SOP, but I would have been tempted to answer "183!"

It seems as if the Mayday declaration did not trigger the undivided attention of ATC - they still seemed to handle the flight as if it was a part of the normal flow.

The PNF could have perhaps influenced the situation by using the Mayday suffix, at least on initial contact on a new frequency.

Unless I missed it, ATC never did confirm that the fire trucks were standing by, even though the PNF specifically asked.

Finally, I have to say, I thought the PNF (local or European?) was amazingly patient with ATC throughout the whole incident.

PS I flew into Changi on Sunday on Tiger and I was tempted to ask the Captain, as we deplaned, if both cowlings were still attached, but I thought he might not appreciate my humour!