PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R44 Cadet
Thread: R44 Cadet
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2015, 08:43
Paul Cantrell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R44 Cadet

I actually think this is a really astute move.

People have long called the R44 'a really good two-seater', two normal size people, full fuel and bags and off you go at 105kts.

It appears that they are about to make the R44 a really good two-seater! Although this will be a good training helicopter, if they can hold the price at R22 levels (including the overhaul), then they have a brilliant entry-level personal helicopter.

Kurt, if you are listening...drive the price down and this will sell like hot cakes without real competition.
From a manufacturing Point of view, how is this two-seater cheaper than the normal R44? Same Engine etc. An extra two seats and seat belts can't make much difference. Why not just reduce the price of the Raven 1?
Also, any information on what the reduced power does for maintenance?
It will be very interesting to see how this plays out. Our flight school operates R44s exclusively, and they make a very good trainer. They also work out well in that once people are licensed they really enjoy being able to rent a 4 place aircraft. Also, the rear seats work out very well for commercial work including survey, photography, and tours. All in all, the R44 is a very capable machine, and I really think a much better trainer than the R22.

That said, I'm not sure how Robinson can offer this at anywhere near the R22 price point, and even if they could, as someone else mentioned, the operating cost of the R44 is certainly higher than the R22 so there's still an expense in operating an R44 vs an R22.

My question is why would an operator buy the Cadet unless the price point is substantially lower than a Raven 1? They give up all the operational flexibility of having the back seats, and I'm not sure the derated engine getting you better high/hot performance in a trainer is really all that useful (I've flown a Raven 1 through the high country around Tahoe and Salt Lake City and frankly even with a bunch of photo/video gear on board and full fuel we had plenty of performance).

I suppose it's probably a pretty low cost option for Robinson to offer, and I'm sure they must have had interest from their customers, but frankly I don't see how it makes economic sense to purchase a Cadet versus a Raven 1...